Isnin, April 18, 2022

040 BIKEFOOT CAMP

 Bikefoot Camp 2022


The wave of Johor cycling culture that rippled during the earlier days of MCO is now swelling big. Some have labeled it as a rising trend of grassroots pop culture that binds people together with a cause similar to the rise of the grunge subculture in the ‘90s.


Bikedaily, a bicycle collective that calls people to hit the road, organized Bikefoot Camp on January 7 and 8, 2022 where riders took a boat crossing the Johor River from Kong Kong to Belungkor. Then, they cycled to Bigfoot Industry Surf campground at Tanjung Lompat, Desaru. 


I was amongst the 50 odd cyclists that joined the event. I am a newbie to cycling but I had a chance to converse with the oldest participant of the camp. I set an interview appointment two days after the event with this fellow, fondly known as Tok (Gramp)  at a nasi lemak stall in Senai.


Tok was a peculiar one at the camp. While everybody else rode in casual shorts and shirts signifying the rock and roll spirit of freedom,  Tok came on an all-black Marin Muirwood bike with a Batman long sleeve t-shirt and a bike helmet accessorized with plastic pointed bat-ears attached. Nevertheless, for the interview, he came on an old three-speed mamachari bike.  


He ordered a plate of nasi lemak, a couple of half-boiled eggs, and a cup of coffee. And when the food came he ordered a few more nasi lemak to take home. 


Here are some snippets of my interview with Tok.


Q. Some cyclists joined the Bikefoot Camp to meet friends and others joined for the adventure. Why did you join the camp? 

A. All those and more. I wouldn't miss this for the world. I had the opportunity to attend the Bikedaily's test camping event last year at Temalah Beach, Tanjung Sedili and I enjoyed it. This Bikefoot Camp was an upgrade of that 2021 camp - bigger and better organized. Well, you can simply sum up that I joined just for the fun of it.


Q. I just followed the crowd without any real sense of direction. Were you the same? Describe your riding experience.

A. We started from Kong Kong. 4 boats ferried 40 cyclists and bikes to Belungkor. From there, we pedaled to Tanjung Lompat. The ride was mostly on the tarmac road. But, we went off-road at the junction of Sening - Adela for about 6 km. All in all, the riders clocked about 75 km on their Strava for the return trip except for me. I clocked 90 km. 


Q: Why so? 

A: I forgot to switch off my bike meter on the boat ride. 


Q: For me, the road part of the trip was easy but the off-road trail made me nervous especially when we got lost. How about you? Do you think the trip was challenging for the participants? 

A: I can't say for sure whether it was challenging for the participants. Due to some limitations and prior engagements some people did not get to ride the full course. Few drove to Tanjung Lompat and just joined the camping segment only. And they were others who rode from different places.  And you know, some are fitter, more experienced, and ride better bicycles. People ride differently. The most important thing in that situation is to ride at your own pace. 


Some had mechanical problems with their bike like a broken chain and spoke but some of us were ready to act as mechanics to solve those problems. If the malfunctions couldn’t be fixed, there were always the support cars.


As for me personally, I didn't mind the distance or the rough terrain of the off-road. I also had no qualm getting lost in the old palm estate as I am used to it. But the heat of the asphalt road and the high noon sun were extremely brutal and unforgiving. It was a struggle for me. Nevertheless, I managed to complete the course. 


Q. I was ready to hit the sleeping bag at 12 midnight but I couldn’t sleep until 3 am. I always find it hard to sleep in a strange new place. Were you bothered with the camping experience?

A. Not much complaint in that department even though it was not Club-Med glamping. People had to queue for the one and only available toilet at the campsite. I think it would be better if there was no toilet at all and I didn’t have to queue. I could just do the business in the bush. Isn’t that the point of going camping? You go out of your comfort zone and experience something wild.


Q. What do you like the most about the activities offered? 

Camping things. People built tents or hung hammocks.  Lunch, bbq dinner, and breakfast were included. Additionally, some of us made coffee and instant noodle as we conversed and mingled. 


People gathered around and listened to talks between the host and a few prominent guests. Nas of Plague of Happiness band entertained us with songs and guitar in between talks.


The best parts for me were chance meetings with old acquaintances. I met two of my former basketball teammates. I also met the girl responsible for the Girl Go Gravel movement. She was a part-time salesgirl for my publishing initiative way back when. Imagine that, from a temp girl to somebody heading a movement. 


Of course, it was exciting to meet new friends from different cycling groups like Putharoda, Kelab Kayuhan Kolektif, and Roam Wild Culture Club. Some of the people that I talked to are really inspiring. For example, I met several survivors of covid, cyclists who escaped the landslide of Janda Baik, and a rider who rode from Johor to Negeri Sembilan on a fixie. Just to mention a few. We learnt a thing or two from each other. 


Q: You seem to have a positive perspective on Bikefoot Camp 2022. What’s your overall rating of the event?

A: Congratulations to Cabi the event director and friends at Bikedaily. Five stars. It was a tough act to follow. 


Q: Last question. The youngest rider was about 20ish. It was that kid from a nearby college at Bandar Penawar. And I assume you were the oldest there. If you don’t mind sharing, how old are you?

A: I am not good at math, but I am sure I am more than half a century old. Nevertheless, on a bike, I am just a kid.


Hence the Batman cosplay, I whispered to myself.


After we were done with the interview, Tok put the nasi lemak packs in the front basket of the mamachari. We fist-bumped goodbyes and he pedaled away. He disappeared on an offroad trail between oil palm trees and bushes. 


Submission for Bikedaily Blog

10/1/22



Tiada ulasan:

COSTOCHONDRITIS

 Masa aku sudah sampai. Mungkin malaikat maut sudah memberi salam.  Saat aku mengalami sakit dada, fikiran aku langsung melayang pada serang...